Just returned from camping on and floating the Current River from Baptist Camp to Cedar Grove.  Only saw 5 other canoes and they passed me early.  Birds include an Osprey, mature Bald Eagle (floated directly underneath its perch), Baltimore Oriole, Cooper's Hawk, White-eyed Vireo, Pileated Woodpecker, Green Heron, Belted Kingfisher, Rough-winged Swallow, and my first ever look of a Blue-grey Gnatcatcher nest.  A pair were busy gathering insects from nearby trees and feeding their young.  I didn't know they built such cool nests.  It was about 25'-30' up in the tree and directly across the river from my camp site.   It looked like it was constructed of mud, but Peterson's Birds' Nests states it compressed vegetation, spider silk and lichen.  Still cool though.  Just 13 1/2 school days left then I can canoe all I want.

Steve Reese
Lee's Summit, Mo