A man that has a farm around Smithville (either Clay, Clinton, or Platte Co.) has posted pictures of an Eurasian Tree Sparrow on his farm a couple years ago. He sent the picture to Mark McKellar but neither Mark nor I could get a response from the man when we emailed him to find out where he was located. Also, I seem to remember a posting in the past year of an Eurasian Tree Sparrow being sighted in Cass Co., MO. They do seem to be slowly escaping from the St. Louis area.

From: Edge Wade
Sent: Monday, April 13, 2015 4:39 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [wisb] EURASIAN TREE SPARROW - Bayfield County, WI

Darn!  What awful timing.  If this had been two weeks ago we could have reported that the drug St. Louisans have been using to deter Eurasian Tree Sparrows from flying beyond the magic polygon has lost its effect as individuals have gained resistance.  We have evidence that a few have ventured beyond the pale in recent years. Some have been found in extreme northeast MO in Clark County at the Des Moines/Mississippi River confluence (some even into southeast Iowa); some "inland" as far as Boone County (Columbia is county seat) and even an odd one now and then further west into MO.

Still, it is pretty cheesy for one to get all the way to Wisconsin.  May the Leif Erickson of his species find that Cornucopia is indeed a place of plenty for him.

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO