From: Edge Wade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:04/12/2015  6:32 PM  (GMT-06:00)
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Bird Guides

I recommend:
National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America, Sixth Edition Paperback – November 1, 2011, by Jon L. Dunn (Author), Jonathan Alderfer (Author).

This field guide works well for backyard feeder/birdwatchers, beginning birders, and for experienced birders.  It has the easiest reference sort (an inside front cover quick index and tabs for major categories).  The range maps are excellent.

I'm not sure what she expects as to breeding and nesting information.  No general field guide goes into details on those.

An excellent book for in-depth information of that sort is

Nests, Eggs, and Nestlings of North American Birds (Princeton Field Guides), Jun 12, 2005 by Paul J. Baicich and J. O. Harrison.

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO

On Apr 12, 2015, at 5:53 PM, Christine Kline wrote:

> I have a lady from Trenton wanting a new bird guide. She lives on a farm in a rural area and she wants to identify the birds she is seeing. Since she has nesting Black-capped Chickadees she also wants a bird guide that has breeding and nesting information. She purchased the Audubon guide from Amazon and didn't like it. Does anyone have a recommendation?
>
> Christine Kline
> Pleasant Hill, Cass County
>
> Christine Kline
> Home/Office: (816) 540-3515
>
> Vice President, Burroughs Audubon
> Committee Co-Chair ~ Wings Over Weston

> ABA Birding Code of Ethics
>
> ASM Spring Meeting: April 24-26, 2015 in St. Louis Details and Online Registration

ASM Fall Meeting: April 24-26, 2015 in Saint Louis

ASM Fall Meeting: April 24-26, 2015 in Saint Louis