This morning on the way to Swan Lake NWR I checked out a Heron Rookery I had spotted last Winter. It is along Locust Creek viewed from west end of Kaye road, NW Chariton Co. I was surprised to see half a dozen Great Egrets standing on nests along with the Great Blue Herons. GREG are still a rare nester in this area.
The highlite at Swan Lake was a loose flock of 450 Am. Golden Plovers on a big mudflat west across from Silver Lake. Both Yellowlegs, a few Pectoral Sandpipers, and Wilson's Snipe there also. Saw 2 FOY Spotted Sandpipers along edge of the lake. Saw about a hundred Yellowlegs in the grass in a pasture near a small stream north across from the refuge. There were 30+ Am. Wigeon there too.
This evening I went back up to the CRP field NE of town. I arrived at 6:30 and first thing I saw as I started down the road was an Upland Sandpiper standing on a terrace in the Wheat field on the north side. On down was a male RN Pheasant. Saw several more of those later. There were still at least 7 Northern Harriers, as I counted that many at one time. Then at 7: 30, four Short-eared Owls came up! I was wondering if any were still around. Cool sunset made nice ending for a good day out!
Later,Steve KinderChillicothe, Livingston [log in to unmask]

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/