Please find below the Call for Papers for the 17th Annual Conference of the German and Dutch Graduate Student Association at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Please note that the deadline for submissions has been extended to Friday, May 22, 2015. With this year's conference, "Relative to What? Exploring Concepts of Identity and Family in Germanic Studies", we will explore literal and metaphorical families and identities through the various lenses afforded by Germanic Studies, including literature, linguistics, second language acquisition, and culture studies.

We are excited to welcome Dr. Katharina Brizić as our keynote speaker, whose work on learner biographies and migration will add greatly to our discussion.

On behalf of the GDGSA Conference Committee, I thank you in advance for distributing this widely.

Sincerely,
Christine Evans

The 17th Annual Conference of the German and Dutch Graduate Student Association

at the University of Wisconsin-Madison

Relative to What?

Exploring Concepts of Identity and Family in Germanic Studies

November 13-14, 2015

Madison, Wisconsin

Keynote Speaker:

Katharina Brizić

 Berkeley Language Center, University of California, Berkeley

University of Freiburg

Call for Papers

            Issues of identity and family have important consequences for individuals and for societies. Changes to Germany’s dual citizenship laws in 2014 highlighted the question “Who is German?” and Austria continues to revise partnership and adoption legislation, recognizing new family structures. In an increasingly global and technology-driven landscape, scholarly investigations inform our understanding of how identities are (de)constructed and the ways people relate to each other. Improved access to data from the past and present, such as census data and genetic analyses, have also enabled researchers to gain critical insights into cultural and linguistic phenomena.

With such developments in mind, this conference aims to examine literal and metaphorical families and identities through the lenses offered by Germanic Studies. We encourage submissions from both historical and contemporary perspectives, and questions that can serve as a starting point for reflection include, but are not limited to:

Literature

Linguistics

Second Language Acquisition

Culture Studies

Abstracts for single or multi-authored 20 minute presentations should be no more than 300 words and are due by May 22, 2015 (Extended Deadline). The primary language of this conference will be English, but submissions in German or Dutch are also welcome. Abstracts should not include the presenter’s name. Please include the following as a separate attachment: name, title of paper, department and university affiliation, phone number, and e-mail address. Please submit your abstracts to Christine Evans at [log in to unmask]. For further details on the conference, keynote speaker, and accommodations (including the option to stay with UW-Madison graduate students), please see our conference website: http://gdgsaconference.german.wisc.edu/.