Please find below the Call for Papers for the 17th Annual Conference of the
German and Dutch Graduate Student Association at the University of
Wisconsin-Madison. Please note that the deadline for submissions has been
extended to Friday, May 22, 2015. With this year's conference, "Relative to
What? Exploring Concepts of Identity and Family in Germanic Studies", we
will explore literal and metaphorical families and identities through the
various lenses afforded by Germanic Studies, including literature,
linguistics, second language acquisition, and culture studies.

We are excited to welcome Dr. Katharina Brizić as our keynote speaker,
whose work on learner biographies and migration will add greatly to our
discussion.

On behalf of the GDGSA Conference Committee, I thank you in advance for
distributing this widely.

Sincerely,
Christine Evans

The 17th Annual Conference of the German and Dutch Graduate Student
Association

at the University of Wisconsin-Madison

*Relative to What?*

*Exploring Concepts of Identity and Family in Germanic Studies*

*November 13-14, 2015*

*Madison, Wisconsin*

*Keynote Speaker:*

*Katharina Brizić*

 Berkeley Language Center, University of California, Berkeley

University of Freiburg

*Call for Papers*

            Issues of identity and family have important consequences for
individuals and for societies. Changes to Germany’s dual citizenship laws
in 2014 highlighted the question “Who is German?” and Austria continues to
revise partnership and adoption legislation, recognizing new family
structures. In an increasingly global and technology-driven landscape,
scholarly investigations inform our understanding of how identities are
(de)constructed and the ways people relate to each other. Improved access
to data from the past and present, such as census data and genetic
analyses, have also enabled researchers to gain critical insights into
cultural and linguistic phenomena.

With such developments in mind, this conference aims to examine literal and
metaphorical families and identities through the lenses offered by Germanic
Studies. We encourage submissions from both historical and contemporary
perspectives, and questions that can serve as a starting point for
reflection include, but are not limited to:

*Literature*

   - How are concepts related to family and identity represented in
   literature?
   - What insights do different genres, including the *Familienroman, *lend
   to an understanding of “family”?

*Linguistics*

   - How can we better understand the language varieties that result from
   contact situations, both within and across language families?
   - What linguistic similarities and differences exist between generations
   of heritage language speakers?

*Second Language Acquisition*

   - What role do language learners’ biographies play in the language
   classroom and in the language learning process?
   - How can the concepts “relatedness” and “familiarity” shed light on
   second language acquisition?

*Culture Studies*

   - How has migration in and out of Germany influenced the identities of
   individuals and families?
   - What concepts of family exist in Germanic language-speaking societies,
   how have these developed, and how have they been portrayed across different
   forms of media?

Abstracts for single or multi-authored 20 minute presentations should be no
more than 300 words and are due by *May 22, 2015 (Extended Deadline)*. The
primary language of this conference will be English, but submissions in
German or Dutch are also welcome. Abstracts should *not* include the
presenter’s name. Please include the following as a separate attachment:
name, title of paper, department and university affiliation, phone number,
and e-mail address. Please submit your abstracts to Christine Evans at
[log in to unmask] For further details on the conference, keynote speaker,
and accommodations (including the option to stay with UW-Madison graduate
students), please see our conference website: http://gdgsaconference.german
.wisc.edu/.