There were tens of thousands of snow geese at Squaw Creek Sunday evening, in the main pool.  We also saw some in the fields north of Squaw Creek.

Valerie

----- Original message -----
From: "Miller, Terry" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Snow Geese & D.O.R.
Date: Mar 16, 2015, 10:01 PM

Mike Niles and I took a bus load of students to Omaha Zoo today and it was actually too hot...last year it never got above 32 degrees. Good trip though and we saw Snow Geese randomly all the way to Omaha. As we got back to Squaw Creek we pulled in the main entrance and could not see a single Snow Goose. We figured the majority had headed north already so we went back to Mound City to eat. As we sat there eating we started noticing flock after flock flying north. All we can figure is that they were on the west pools of Squaw Creek where we could not see them??? There were also numerous Snow Geese on the north Bluff Pool.

As we left Squaw Creek we decided to keep track of all the road kills on the way home (D.O.R. - dead on road) We counted for about 70 miles until it got too dark at about Smithville Lake. We ended up with 70 for an average of one per mile. They were as follows:

White-tailed Deer - 21
Opossum - 11
Raccoon - 10
Unidentified - 10
Striped Skunk - 6
Wild Turkey - 3
Red-tailed Hawk - 2
Coyote - 2
Muskrat - 1
Barred Owl - 1
Canada Goose - 1
E. Fox Squirrel - 1
Snapping Turtle -1

After all that driving and early rising, I'm sure to sleep well tonight......

Terry L. Miller
Kearney High School
Ecology/College Zoology/Genetics/Botany/Astronomy Teacher
816-628-4585

"It is the inherent dignity of every human person that we must strive to respect, to inspire, and to believe in....and what a great responsibility we have as teachers and role models!"

"If a child is to keep alive his inborn sense of wonder, he needs the companionship of at least one adult who can share it, rediscovering with him the joy, excitement, and mystery of the world we live in." Rachel Carson