At Galloway Park at the edge of West Plains, I observed and heard at least four American Woodcock peenting, performing aerial displays, and cackling.  It was very enjoyable to see them soar high against the pale sky (about 7:20 p.m. or so), fly out of sight into the shrubby area, and land to start the cycle all over again.  A couple were peenting very close to me.  This went on for about 45 minutes until a loud passing train quieted them.