16 or so birders started the day at Horseshoe Lake SP in Illinois.  A mixed
flock of blackbirds at the entrance had Grackles, RWBBs, Brown-headed
Cowbirds and some Rusty Blackbirds.  Near the parking lot was a small group
of Wild Turkeys.  Scoping the lake from near the parking lot got us a lot of
expected ducks,  as well as the Long-tailed that David Becher posted
earlier.  Driving the causeway we found Bonaparte's Gulls on the road.  A
couple dozen White Pelicans were actively feeding in the lake.  From the
boat ramp off Hwy 111.  We got both Teals, American Wigeon and Pintails as
well as hundreds of Ring-necked Ducks.  Driving the lakefront road we had
Ring-billed, Herring and Bonaparte's Gulls all together and then Eurasian
Tree Sparrows.

A stop on Sand Prairie Road to examine a mixed flock of geese got us Canada,
Snow, Ross's and Greater White-fronted.

The barrow pits were devoid of gulls but we saw several plumages of Bald
Eagles and a Red-tailed Hawk.

At Riverlands we walked the mulch path from the Audubon Center to Ellis Bay
and along the Bay to the raised overlook platform.  Near the islands there
were three swans, and from our view it like there was one Mute, one
Trumpeter and one Tundra.  We also picked up Common Mergansers.  Heron Pond
had four swans, all looked like Trumpeters.  Hundreds of ducks were along
the back edge.  A Northern Harrier was in the field.  In Ellis Bay but
closer to the dam was a small flock of Snow Geese with 4 or 5 more Ross's
with them.  During our time at Riverlands flights of Greater White-fronted
Geese and White Pelicans were seen overhead.  There were no gulls at the
lock gates although there was a Northern Harrier hunting near the state line
sign on the access road.

SPECIES SEEN

From 3/14/2015 to 3/14/2015 ~ All Places ~ 61 seen

DUCKS, GEESE, AND WATERFOWL

Greater White-fronted Goose

Snow Goose

Ross's Goose

Canada Goose

Trumpeter Swan

Tundra Swan

Gadwall

American Wigeon

Mallard

Blue-winged Teal

Northern Shoveler

Northern Pintail

Green-winged Teal

Canvasback

Redhead

Ring-necked Duck

Greater Scaup

Lesser Scaup

Long-tailed Duck

Bufflehead

Common Goldeneye

Hooded Merganser

Common Merganser

Red-breasted Merganser

Ruddy Duck

PHEASANTS, GROUSE, AND ALLIES

Wild Turkey

GREBES

Pied-billed Grebe

PELICANS

American White Pelican

HAWKS, EAGLES, AND KITES

Northern Harrier

Bald Eagle

Red-tailed Hawk

RAILS, GALLINULES, AND COOTS

American Coot

PLOVERS AND LAPWINGS

Killdeer

GULLS, TERNS, AND SKIMMERS

Bonaparte's Gull

Ring-billed Gull

Herring Gull

PIGEONS AND DOVES

Rock Pigeon

Mourning Dove

WOODPECKERS

Red-bellied Woodpecker

Downy Woodpecker

Northern Flicker

FALCONS AND CARACARAS

American Kestrel

CROWS, JAYS, AND MAGPIES

Blue Jay

American Crow

CHICKADEES AND TITS

Carolina Chickadee

Tufted Titmouse

NUTHATCHES

White-breasted Nuthatch

THRUSHES AND ALLIES

American Robin

MOCKINGBIRDS AND THRASHERS

Northern Mockingbird

STARLINGS

European Starling

BUNTINGS AND NEW WORLD SPARROWS

American Tree Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

White-crowned Sparrow

Dark-eyed Junco

CARDINALS AND ALLIES

Northern Cardinal

TROUPIALS AND ALLIES

Red-winged Blackbird

Eastern Meadowlark

Rusty Blackbird

Common Grackle

Brown-headed Cowbird

OLD WORLD SPARROWS

Eurasian Tree Sparrow

If I missed anything please let me know.

It sure was a great day to be out and birding.  Thank you to Mike T and Dick
P and Bernie and Jean F for helping lead, and of course the day wouldn't
have been as good without Susan's brownies.

Mike Grant

Chesterfield, MO