About 30 birders met at Hampton Lake at Busch CA for the annual Woodcock and
owl prowl.  The lake is still mostly frozen but held Canada Geese, Gadwall,
Ring-necked Ducks, and a Lesser Scaup.  Soaring over the field across the
lake we saw Red-tailed Hawk and Northern Harrier.  A small pond near the
parking lot had two Greater White-fronted Geese standing on ice that
provided exceptional looks.  And a Red-bellied Woodpecker and a Red-winged
Blackbird finished off the list of species for that area.

The group then consolidated vehicles at the recently upgraded Blue Grosbeak
Trail parking lot and proceeded to the Great-horned Owl nest previously
posted by Dave Pierce.  Parking west of the nest with the setting sun on it
we had great scope views of three on the nest and an adult on a nearby
branch.  Several carloads of hotel guests stopped and also enjoyed the views
of the birds.

Back to the Blue Grosbeak trail and a mostly in-vain search for Woodcocks.
A couple of early arrivers got to hear one close, but most of the group
never heard them.  The few there seemed to be staying on the ground.
Hopefully warmer weather and the dissipation of the snow cover to our south
will bring the birds in before too long.

Many thanks to Sue Gustafson, Mike Thelen and David Becher for serving as
leaders and the many people that came out and enjoyed the great weather.

Mike