Even though winter still has a strong grasp on the area a few early spring birds have been showing up around Castlewood SP,

-A very non displaying woodcock has been hanging out along the small spring fed brook behind the office.(The water is always open and produces a little micro-clime that keeps the soil near the bank soft so the woodcock is able to feed)

-a hermit thrush has been in the same area from time to time

-fish crows showing up
-rusty blackbirds showing up in numbers.Have had them at my feeder starting this week

-great horned owls nesting near me.No doubt has either killed or chased off the barred that lived in my back yard

-One a different note.One usually doesn't think of Castlewood as a gull hotspot but for years there has been a sizable gull roost over at the Simpson Gravel dredging lake just east of the park.
 Numbers range from several dozen to 200 -300 hundred birds.I would say about 150 to 200 birds have been around since Jan,
 Their here because of the West County landfill nearby
 Have never seen anything odd,vast majority are ring-billeds, but herring gull numbers seem to be higher this year

Mike Brady
Ballwin,MO