This morning, 22 Feb, most of Riverlands M.B.S. (St. Charles County) was frozen over, except for the area around Ellis Island where there were quite a few waterfowl to pick through but I did not spend much time doing so.

Instead, I spent most of my time at the Melvin Price Lock and Dam (accessed from the Missouri side), with Bill Rowe picking through the gulls.   The majority of the birds present were HERRINGS (250+), with only a few RING-BILEDS sprinkled in.  The highlight was 3 "KUMLIEN'S" ICELAND GULLS, a personal high count at the location for me, two first-cycle birds and one second-cycle bird.  Additionally, there was at least one first-cycle THAYER'S GULL there and the young male LONG-TAILED DUCK, reported yesterday by Connie Alwood, was still present.

Here is my eBird checklist with my notes and pics of the gulls:

Lastly, I drove the confluence road to just past the duck club property where there were at least 25 LAPLAND LONGSPURS mixed in with the 100+ HORNED LARKS.

Hopefully the gulls will stick around until next Saturday for the re-scheduled Gull Workshop.

Josh

Joshua Uffman
St. Louis County, MO
Missouri Bird Records:  http://www.showme-birds.com/