Fellow birders:

During a trip last month to Belize, I spent many hours birding in the village of Indian Church while staying at the Lamanai Outpost lodge.  The residents, about 300, work at the lodge, the Mayan ruins, or for the Mennonite community, and they realize the importance of birding to their area's economy.   Ruben, our guide, lives there and is mentoring a group of young men that hope to be bird guides.  Their town library has no bird books, and he was very excited when I offered to collect and send them some.  Our US bird guides would be useful because many of our Spring migrants and Summer breeders spend the winter in this area, and I have listed some of the ones we saw below.

I learned that I will unexpectedly be returning to Belize next Thursday, 2/26, and would be able to take a bag of books with me to Indian Church.  If you have an outdated bird guide or book you would like to donate, I will collect them at the Gull workshop, or you can leave them for me at the Audubon Center at Riverlands.  Hopefully, helping to foster this interest in our birds where they winter will benefit all of us.

Pat Lueders, Webster Groves

Some of our birds seen in Belize:

Osprey
Northern Harrier