Call for Papers: Articles for the 27th Volume of UCLA's Graduate Student Journal NGR (New German Review)

Extended Deadline for Submissions: March 15, 2015

Transitions

The prefix trans- (meaning ‘on one or the other side of’, ‘across’, or ‘beyond’) has engendered various recent scholarly derivations, such as transgender, transmedia, transhumanism alongside more established concepts such as transnationalism and translation. They all have in common the attempt to venture beyond the single, static viewpoint and create a dynamic notion that considers networks, developments and processes, whether gradual or abrupt, as suitable objects of study. As such, transitions and the derivations above deserve special scholarly attention.

We are seeking submissions from all areas of Germanic Studies and related fields that include, but are not limited to: literature, language, film, culture, philosophy, and the fine arts. Contributions may address the concept or manifestation of transitions in these fields, taking the form of a critical inquiry into the fields’ respective histories or investigating concrete problems including the idea of transitions in or between specific works, media, authors/creators, schools of thought, productive periods, or languages/dialects.

For the 30th anniversary of the graduate student journal NGR (New German Review) of UCLA’s Department of Germanic Languages, we want to stimulate our readers’ imagination to join our journey between one point and the other. We encourage authors to submit works that address the topic of transitions in fields related to Germanic Studies. Submissions must comply with MLA conventions, with endnotes and works cited. Articles should be between 15 and 25 pages (double spaced), and book reviews should not exceed 2 pages. Articles may be written in either German or English. Please submit manuscripts prepared for blind review in electronic form by March 15, 2015 on NGR's open access eScholarship website. Please direct inquiries to [log in to unmask]