CALL FOR PAPERS
2016 MODERN LANGUAGE ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA
Division on German Literature to 1700

The MLA Division on German Literature to 1700 invites submissions for two panels at the 2016 MLA in Austin (7-10 January 2016) on the topics:  “Corporate Relations” and “Auerbach’s (German) Publics.”  Papers should treat any aspect of German literature and culture before 1700 and we hope to balance panels with a range from the medieval through early modern period.  We further seek to address the MLA theme: Literature and its Publics: Past, Present, and Future.

“Corporate Relations”
Papers treating individual and corporate bodies; corporations, fraternities, and learned societies; institution building; political theory and the body politic.  We seek papers that interrogate the intersection of the bodies that help in the representation of literature and its publics.

“Auerbach (German) Publics”
Why is reading Auerbach important today?
Papers treating Auerbach’s  views of criticism, philology, literary language, realism and their  publics in German literature before 1700.  How do approaches founded in comparative criticism inform our understanding of early German literature and culture?

Please submit 150-word abstract, a 150-word CV, and a statement whether you need to project visuals or sound to Mara Wade by 15 March, 2015.

Mara R. Wade
Managing Editor, Emblematica

Emblematica Online and the OpenEmblem Portal
http://emblematica.library.illinois.edu/

Professor of Germanic Languages & Literatures and in the Programs for Comparative and World Literatures, Media Studies, Gender and Women's Studies, International Studies, Jewish Society and Culture, Library Administration, and the European Union Center

http://www.germanic.illinois.edu/people/mwade

Department of Germanic Languages and Literatures
2090 Foreign Languages Building
707 S. Mathews Avenue
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Urbana, Illinois 61801 USA
fax: +217 244-2223
office phone:  +217 333-8777