“Sound and Story: The Rhythms of Language in the Works of Germanophone Women Writers”

German Women Writers Panel at the 2015 SCMLA, Nashville, TN, October 31 - November 3

The rhythms of the languages we speak shape literary texts; rhyme, meter, assonance, and other sound patterns underpin our poetry, and musicality and sound figure as significant elements in many narratives. Hildgard von Bingen’s medieval musical drama Ordo Virtutum is written in dramatic verse and contains 82 different melodies; Else Lasker-Schüler’s poems show linguistic neologisms; Elfriede Jelinek’s Rein Gold is not only a sarcastic phonetic pun, but incorporates several elements of Wagner’s opera. Sound matters as much for scholars of literature as it does for linguists and language pedagogues.

This panel invites submissions on the conference theme investigating music, musicality, and sound inherent in Germanophone women’s writing. We welcome papers that critically examine these literary elements without restrictions in period, genre, theoretical, or methodological framework and encourage submissions from literary scholars, linguists, and language pedagogues.

Possible paper topics could include (but are not limited to):
Sound patterns in poetry
Musical symbolism in literary works
Literary representations of the opera, the concert hall, and the ballroom
The medicine of words and the healing power of music
The rhythms of language and the FL classroom

Please submit a 250-word abstract and a short biographical note by March 15, 2015 to Erika Berroth ([log in to unmask]) and Cindy Walter-Gensler ([log in to unmask]). Please include your name, institutional affiliation, email address, and any audio-visual requirements for the presentation.

--
Cindy Walter-Gensler, M.A.
Ph.D. Candidate in Germanic Studies