Some years back there was a Whooper Swan report from along the Mississippi River--don't recall if IL, IA or WI, but the upshot is that it was determined to be an escapee from a captive group somewhere in Wisconsin.  That is, a beautiful bird, but not within the listing rules for ABA.  It is likely that the one reported now is of similar origin.

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO