Sparrows have been very low in Joplin too,
this winter.  I've only had one White-throated in
our Joplin yard this winter.  There is a Fox Sparrow
that has wintered at the Joplin Nature Center.
Very low numbers when I go out into the country to bird
for sparrows too.
Juncos, House Finch and Goldfinch numbers here seem to
be ok.  White-crowned, White-throated, Harris's, nope.
Lowest that I have seen per my paltry record keeping in
many a winter.
Larry Herbert,  Joplin, MO.  certhia at att . net  1-31-15.