The northern shrike was in one of its usual haunts (SW corner of Bradford Farm) just after 9 am today. I saw it again in the same area about an hour later - then it flew southwest until I lost sight of it. No, I didn't spook it -  I stayed in the car and it flew from a tree 200-300 m away. It had plenty of other reasons to be shy. In the same area was a Cooper's hawk, a young red-tailed hawk (one of several I saw), and a couple of northern harriers. I also saw 4 immature bald eagles of all things - sitting on the ground near the first cross-road W of the Bradford buildings.The head of one of these birds was beginning to get white feathers. I also saw a couple of kestrels and a possible juvenile rough-legged hawk. Finally there were several flocks of hundreds of common grackles and red-winged blackbirds. Someone with more patience and time could have probably picked through those flocks for other icterids.

Carl Gerhardt
Boone County (Easley)