"Steven Salaita speaks publicly for the first time since his controversial and unceremonious firing by U of I Chancellor Phyllis Wise."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgAvNE-wfYo

---------

I agree with Nancy's comments on Sturr as an individual; I would support, for example, students chasing him off campus or disrupting his classes. In the past I organized a successful effort at Illinois State to disrupt an appearance on campus of a South African Consul and drive him from the podium. I aided efforts elsewhere to drive Shcckley from campuses where he attempted to speak. I was among some 12 people who in 1968 tried to prevent Herbert Humphrey from speaking on the ISU  campus: he had to step over our prone bodies on his way to the auditorium. So I do not make a fetish of free speech. But tenure is a very special issue. Its history goes back to the firing of university faculty in the U.S. for opposing U.S.  entry into the criminal butchery of the Great War.

Tenure for university professors is most often needed as protection for those with politics similar to my own or those of Professor Salaita. (I would prefer instant job security for all university employees from kitchen aids to full professors -- but that is another issue for another occasion.) Hence despite my agreement with Nancy's comments on the man, I think his forced resignation by a* university was unacceptable. For crucial political reasons tenure university faculty needs to be defended unequivocally.

Carrol

*I have not followed the Spurr saga & don't even remember which university he taught at.

.