On Fri, 5 Dec 2014 06:40:24 -0600, Rickard A. Parker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>On Thu, 4 Dec 2014 23:37:08 -0500, Tom Gray <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>If Eliot were alive today, what would he make of Google?
>
>This gives us a clue:
>   "Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge? Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?"

I just came across another statement of Eliot's (from "The Perfect Critic") that seems to be a comment on Google or the WWW:

http://www.bartleby.com/200/sw2.html

The vast accumulations of knowledge—or at least of information—deposited by the nineteenth century have been responsible for an equally vast ignorance. When there is so much to be known, when there are so many fields of knowledge in which the same words are used with different meanings, when every one knows a little about a great many things, it becomes increasingly difficult for anyone to know whether he knows what he is talking about or not. And when we do not know, or when we do not know enough, we tend always to substitute emotions for thoughts.