Dear Kate,
I did not mean dogs are, by nature, pathetic. I meant that even a kicked
dog will be loving, and that makes them pathetically vulnerable. Kicking
a dog is especially disgusting just because of that.
Best,
Nancy

>>> Kate Nichols  12/22/14 9:29 PM >>>
Nancy, dogs aren't pathetically loving.  Their love is a gift and I
don't
find it pathetic at all.  I love your use of the word "sentient,"
although
I cannot help but think of "Data" from Star Trek fame when I see or hear
that word.

from Nancy:  I think kicking sentient
creatures is genuine bad. (Yes there are degrees, but dogs are
pathetically loving and accepting, not objects to abuse

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 5:10 PM, P  wrote:

> And when China takes over as nation #1 under all major headings, it
may
> well become de rigueur to have on most restaurant menus the form of
> nourishment known as dog. In western Canada the industry of bug
farming is
> thriving. It was I believe in the years before WWII the many store
windows
> in Canada had a sign reading "No Englishman Need Apply";
> why, I have no idea.
> Life goes on.
> Peter
>
> David Boyd  wrote:
>
> Nancy
>
> As early as the mid/late 1960's, when a 16 year old David joined the
> British Foreign Office / Diplomatic Service, women selected for same
were
> required to resign when or if they got married, whereas had I got
married
> my wife and family would have been generously funded on any overseas
> postings.
>
> Was this policy outrageously unfair to women and just plain wrong? -
yes,
> of course it was. But did that make the British Government of the era
> culpable?
>
> That was then, and this is now, surely?
>
> I do most respectfully suggest that you seem to be unduly-zealous in
> condemning past generations for their failure to march to your own,
> very-different, 2014, moral compass and that there is little to be
gained
> except perhaps for feelings of self-righteousness in doing so: many
aspects
> of morality etc surely are indeed relative, according to the era and
social
> mores involved?
>
> And BTW it was Alan *Turing* who fell foul of  that draconian 1950's
UK
> [...]
>> did not get it, and she was hurt by his bigotry. That is a serious
>> difference. So, too, was the young gay man who, I gather, lost his
job.
>> These actions do have major impact. Think of Alan Turling who was a
>> major factor in winning WWII but hounded out of work and destroyed:
>> "In 1952, Turing was arrested and tried for homosexuality, then a
>> criminal offence. To avoid prison, he accepted injections of
oestrogen
>> for a year, which were intended to neutralise his libido. In that
era,
>> homosexuals were considered a security risk as they were open to
>> blackmail. Turing's security clearance was withdrawn, meaning he
could
>> no longer work for GCHQ, the post-war successor to Bletchley Park.
>> He committed suicide on 7 June, 1954."
>> Is total relativism really ok--any more than total "thought policing"
>> when prejudice can do that?
>> I'm not suggesting an answer--it's a question.
>> Nancy

>> My Professor in college who taught the Modernist class was an open
>> homosexual and smoked cigarettes in the classroom.  Amusing that in
>> today's
>> society, his being gay would not matter at all and would not be used
>> On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 3:49 PM, Peter Dillane
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Folks,
>> >
>> > I seem to be tainted with cynicism and moral relativism in this
>> company
>> > where everyone has such concern about the issues. Barry Spurr is a
>> > political player not some dear little thing with wide eyes cruelly
>> hunted
>> > down. He was engaged in the political game at the big end of town
and
>> in
>> > this country that is a brutally combative polar dialectic without
>> nuance. I
>> > find it hard to believe someone could get the job he had without
>> knowing
>> > the score. The past thirty years in this country one or the other
side
>> of
>> > cultural politics has used its time in power to end the careers of
the
>> > other side. Neither has the moral call on track record. He had a
>> government
>> > role which will deprive others of their careers perhaps for good. I
am
>> not
>> > particularly partisan in this  (probably I was on his side in much
of
>> it
>> > )but my point is  that this is not the story of an ingenue
butterfly
>> > crushed on the wheel. I think it does matter that he has said these
>> things.
>> > I don’t think the public interest argument is a strong
justification
>> for
>> > disseminating these private conversations although someone who
deeply
>> cared
>> > for the national curriculum and was opposed to his position would
see
>> it
>> > more substantial as a justification for publishing.
>> >
>> > For the record in terms of him being hounded I have not noticed
that
>> > anyone much cares, there’s been a tiny hue and no cry really. He
>> resigned
>> > and was not dismissed. I suppose he has been pushed but the public
>> fact is
>> > that he jumped and his University has chosen not to say much at
all.
>> His
>> > political masters have said next to nothing but they did not back
him
>> up.
>> > Part of what he was reported to have said had a tilt at them so he
may
>> be a
>> > bit friendless.  The racist comments were not particularly vile the
>> > misogynist ones were. Reading between the lines he has accepted a
>> pretty
>> > lame settlement with the publishers on the proviso they publish no
>> more so
>> > there must be more -  and worse. It doesn’t matter that these were
>> private,
>> > nor that he should have known about the porous cyber conduit he was
>> using.
>> > What is is. He chose at a good age with a life of profession> I was
>> taught by a terrific chap. a professor of Pathology. Erudite,
>> > astute, lovely educational technique, approachable and charming.
There