There is such a thing as scapegoating in which people project their own dark side onto others as in The Scarlet Letter.
The violation of people's expected privacy does make them victims.
Peter M.

John Angell Grant <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

By playing a race-baiting game with a colleague on university email, was there some part of Spurr that wanted to be caught and exposed?  Could such a motivation correlate to the Puritan humiliation emotion that Eliot channeled from St. John of the Cross, Hawthorne, and others?