It's important to keep in mind, in spite these personality attitudes, that Yeats was considered a giant of a poet in his own right. Cf. Auden's In Memoriam W. B. Yeats: 'The day of his death was a dark, cold day'....'Mad Ireland hurt you into poetry' &c. He was a major influence and this list could do worse than give him some attention. Cf The Second Coming. How does it stand up against Eliot & Pound?
Peter

James Loucks <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Thanks, Rick, for your post. In light of their "incompatibility" it's interesting to learn that TSE gave the initial Yeats Memorial Lecture in 1940. It's also important to recollect that it was Pound who went about steering WBY toward modernism and away from the "Celtic phantasmagoria" of the 1890s, just a few years before he (Pound) went to work on the young poet just down from Merton. -- All best,  Jim

On Wednesday, December 10, 2014 7:49 PM, Rickard A. Parker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

On Sat, 6 Dec 2014 23:53:23 -0500, James Loucks <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>This would have been in autumn 1932, when TSE sailed to the US to deliver the Norton Lectures (1932-33); that same year Yeats visited the US to be present at the opening of one of his plays in New York. It was an uneasy meeting, over a formal dinner (I think it might have been at Wellesley, but have to check on that). WBY sat next to TSE but was engaged in conversation with a young woman on the side away from TSE. He then turned to TSE and said that he and the lady had been discussing the poetry of TSE, and asked what TSE thought about the subject. TSE turned his place card to WBY to identify himself.  --  best,  --  Jim Loucks

I love this story Jim and I had to find more about it. I found a secondary source for the WBY/TSE anedote in

T. S. Eliot: Poetry, Plays and Prose
By Sunil Kumar Sarker
Page 9

https://books.google.com/books?id=XRM9C5VWH-AC&pg=PA9&dq=%22Eliot%20and%20his%20contemporary%20W.B.%20Yeats%22#v=onepage&q=%22Eliot%20and%20his%20contemporary%20W.B.%20Yeats%22&f=false

Eliot and his contemporary W.B. Yeats (1865-1939) maintained lukewarm relation between them. Richard Ellmann described this relation as "long, languid incompatibility." Ellmann wrote: "Among their various mild collisions none was more defined than the dinner at Wellesley College when Yeats, seated next to Eliot but oblivious of him, conversed with the guest on the other side until late in the meal. He then turned and said, 'My friend here and I have been discussing the defects of T.S. Eliot's poetry. What do you think of that poetry?' "Eliot held up his place card to excuse himself from the jury" (Sutherland, 442). In spite of this cold relationship between the two great poets, we must say that Eliot was by any standard congenial, affable and meek.

Regards,
  Rick Parker

P.S. To keep the story and picture together here is the link that C.R. sent us:
    http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140673612605005/images?imageId=fx1┬žionType=lightBlue&hasDownloadImagesLink=false