From: T. S. Eliot Discussion forum. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf
Of Ken Armstrong
Sent: Friday, December 05, 2014 8:31 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: The Bulk -- oops

On 12/2/2014 5:15 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

<One of the greatest discoveries of ancient Athens (or at least of the
peasants & artisans) has been pretty well hidden: the discovery that freedom
can only be attained and enjoyed collectively.>

It's a little more complicated than that, isn't it? I can't help thinking
that being bound to the collective can run counter to "enjoying freedom."
Think of Socrates enjoying and practicing freedom. The collective powers
that were, were not amused, and Socrates paradoxically asserts his freedom
and his allegiance by drinking the hemlock -- in allegiance to the
collective and in staying true to the integrity of his thought. Is
collectivized freedom a contradiction in terms?

Ken A