I visited Thomas Hill Reservoir (Macon/Randolph Co.) around 9am this morning. There was a group of RING-BILLED GULLS and a few HERRING GULLS on the east side of the Rt. T causeway. The only (and I do mean only) birds on the water were a few HOODED MERGANSERS and 4 MALLARDS north of Rt. T. It was incredibly disappointing.

eBird checklist for the Reservoir: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S20677806
eBird checklist for Gaslight Rd.: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S20678034

Next, I went to Long Branch State Park (Macon Co.). There were a lot of gulls on the west end of the dam. Almost all were RING-BILLED, but there were a few HERRING and 1 FRANKLIN'S mixed in. Some BONAPARTE'S GULLS could be seen flying around here and there.

The marina held a lot of gulls as well, but the jetty did not harbor any Snow Buntings.

I spent a lot of time (way too much) trying to turn a pot-bellied, dark-eye smudged second-cycle Herring Gull into a Slaty-backed Gull. Then I spent even more time trying to turn a first-cycle Herring Gull into a Lesser Black-backed Gull with no luck.

On my way out, I decided to pish for sparrows in a few spots. My first stop yielded a gorgeous female OREGON DARK-EYED JUNCO.

eBird checklist from the park: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S20683643

Good birding,
Ryan

Ryan Douglas