The grebes in Ellis Bay across from Heron Pond were Horned, not Eared.  The sandpiper I reported as a Semipalmated was a Pectoral.

Can add Northern Pintails, Northern Shovelers, Canvasbacks, Lesser Scaup, Bufflehead, Common Goldeneye, American Coots, Great Blue Heron, Red-tailed Hawk, Bald Eagle, American Crows, American Robins, Starlings, White-throated Sparrows, White-crowned Sparrows, House Finch and American Goldfinch.

Thank you Dick, Charlene and Evan.

Mike

From: Missouri Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mike Grant
Sent: Monday, November 24, 2014 7:06 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: SLAS FIELD TRIP on Sat., November 22 - Trip Report

Arriving early I once again looked for the previously reported Snow Buntings and once again failed to find them.  Proceeding to Heron Pond I had better luck, mainly because Tom B and Dave R were there and had found Snow and Ross’ Geese.

About a dozen people met at frozen-over Teal Pond where we ‘enjoyed’ the Ring-billed Gulls then split for Heron Pond.  There we found:

Gadwalls, Mallards, American Black Ducks, Ruddy Ducks, American Widgeon and Green-winged Teal.

Canada, Snow and Ross’ Geese

Trumpeter Swans

Northern Harriers

Song Sparrows

Across from Heron Pond in Ellis Bay we found Eared Grebes, a couple of Cormorants and a couple White Pelicans.

From the comfort of the Audubon Center we scoped:

Common and Hooded Mergansers,

Ring-necked Ducks

The dam area had only Ring-billed Gulls although on the way out a Peregrine Falcon zoomed over the convoy.

Proceeding on Confluence Road birds were seen near the start that may have been Rusty Blackbirds, but they flew away quickly.  Farther along were Horned Larks, Kestrels and more Harriers.  At a flooded puddle we stopped for Killdeer and then found two shorebirds.  Dick P and Dave B (the WGNSS group arrived as we were there) identified them as a Semipalmated Sandpiper and a Baird’s Sandpiper.  There were hundreds of Swans feeding in the fields.

The walk to the point yielded hundreds of distant Ring-billed Gulls, sprinkles and some slippery mud.

Any participants feel free to add what I have missed.

Thank you Mary Dueren and Dick Palmer for helping with the leading.

Mike Grant

Chesterfield, MO