From: Missouri Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf
Of Mike Grant
Sent: Monday, November 24, 2014 7:06 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: SLAS FIELD TRIP on Sat., November 22 - Trip Report

Arriving early I once again looked for the previously reported Snow Buntings
and once again failed to find them.  Proceeding to Heron Pond I had better
luck, mainly because Tom B and Dave R were there and had found Snow and
Ross' Geese.

About a dozen people met at frozen-over Teal Pond where we 'enjoyed' the
Ring-billed Gulls then split for Heron Pond.  There we found:

Gadwalls, Mallards, American Black Ducks, Ruddy Ducks, American Widgeon and
Green-winged Teal.

Canada, Snow and Ross' Geese

Trumpeter Swans

Northern Harriers

Song Sparrows

Across from Heron Pond in Ellis Bay we found Eared Grebes, a couple of
Cormorants and a couple White Pelicans.

From the comfort of the Audubon Center we scoped:

Common and Hooded Mergansers,

Ring-necked Ducks

The dam area had only Ring-billed Gulls although on the way out a Peregrine
Falcon zoomed over the convoy.

Proceeding on Confluence Road birds were seen near the start that may have
been Rusty Blackbirds, but they flew away quickly.  Farther along were
Horned Larks, Kestrels and more Harriers.  At a flooded puddle we stopped
for Killdeer and then found two shorebirds.  Dick P and Dave B (the WGNSS
group arrived as we were there) identified them as a Semipalmated Sandpiper
and a Baird's Sandpiper.  There were hundreds of Swans feeding in the
fields.

The walk to the point yielded hundreds of distant Ring-billed Gulls,
sprinkles and some slippery mud.

Any participants feel free to add what I have missed.

Thank you Mary Dueren and Dick Palmer for helping with the leading.

Mike Grant

Chesterfield, MO

  _____

Archives <https://po.missouri.edu/archives/mobirds-l.html>  / Subscription