I found quite a few species of waterfowl this morning on Lake Contrary. On recent visits the lake was almost void of any birds. I heard Greater White-fronted Geese calling but was unable to locate them. I guess they were high and some distance away. I ended up with thirteen (13) species: Canada Geese, Gr. White-fronted Geese, Mallard, Northern Shoveler, Gadwall, Northern Pintail, Green-winged Teal, American Wigeon, Redhead, Ring-necked Duck, Lesser Scaup, Ruddy Duck & Bufflehead.
I was a little disappointed with my sparrow count, as I only had Song, Swamp, Lincoln, American Tree, White-crowned, Harris's Sparrows & Dark-eyed Juncos. I was happy to add a Pileated Woodpecker to my more expected woodpecker list of Red-bellied, Downy Woodpeckers and some Northern Flickers. I also had a nice flock of Cedar Waxwings. Total species came to forty-four (44).

Larry Lade
St. Joseph, MO