CFP for Collection of Essays

Women Writing War: From German Colonialism through World War I

Editors: Katharina von Hammerstein, Barbara Kosta, and Julie Shoults

The 100th anniversary of World War I and the preceding years of German colonial conflicts provide an opportunity to revisit the texts that emerged out of these violent developments, to expand the war canon dominated by male writers, and to reconsider the understanding of the experience of war beyond the arenas of combat. Women not only commented on their nation’s imperial ambitions and war efforts in various ways, but they also documented and imagined the events of this tumultuous time period through both fictional and non-fictional texts. Our proposed collection seeks to examine how German-speaking women wrote war in the early 1900s and how these representations deepen our understanding of the gendered experience of war.

We invite proposals from across disciplines that examine female-authored, German-language texts through a variety of theoretical frameworks, focusing on early twentieth-century wars in Europe or German colonies up to 1918. The term “text” may be interpreted in a broad sense to include not only literary and non-literary writings, but also film and other art forms. Likewise, the concept of “war” may be broadly understood to incorporate the events leading up to a war and its immediate aftermath. Therefore, we also welcome submissions that investigate how imperial discourses and colonial conflicts contributed to a persistent atmosphere of Kriegsbegeisterung in the early twentieth century that eventually culminated in the outbreak of World War I.

Please send a 300-400 word abstract in English and a two-page CV by March 1, 2015 to the editors, Katharina von Hammerstein, [log in to unmask], Barbara Kosta, [log in to unmask] and Julie Shoults, [log in to unmask]. Those whose abstracts are selected will be invited to submit a complete manuscript in English by October 1, 2015. Inclusion in the collection will be contingent upon timely submission and the review of the full manuscript. The editors aim for a publication date in late 2016.