HI Chris.

They have also been located at both Little Prairie Lake and the Mill Creek area of Phelps County. Two traditional breeding grounds.

Mike Doyen
Rolla, MO

On Thursday, October 30, 2014 10:13 PM, Chris Barrigar <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Chilly greetings!

Tonight, I decided to try my luck at the pond fishing with about 45 minutes of remaining daylight. As any birder should (if able), I took the path less traveled through the woods where an American Woodcock (a.k.a. Timberdoodle) flushed with whistling wings. As it reached eye level, I was able to see the very obvious long bill silhouetted against the western twilight.

I'd bet today's cold midday temps and rain helped it find some good food in the moist loose soil under the fallen leaves.

What an unexpected treat! Not all Halloween surprises are spooky, creepy, etc.!

Good Birding!

Chris Barrigar

Cole Co.
Russellville, MO

ASM Fall Meeting: September 26-28, 2014 at Lake of the Ozarks State Park Details and Online Registration

ASM Fall Meeting: September 26-28, 2014 at Lake of the Ozarks State Park Details and Online Registration