Greetings!

It would appear that with the rainy/stormy weather clearing, the American Robins are on the move heading south, because, like last year around this time, I pulled into the parking lot at work and watched as hundreds of Am. Robins passed overhead.

Their numbers appeared to be between 70 to ~125 at any given time over our manufacturing plant parking lot. I figured a rate of 70-125 birds every 30 seconds, and I watched in awe for 15 minutes. A conservative estimate of what I actually observed is 1500 in that 15 minute period. Birds were still in the north of the parking lot when I entered the building. No telling how many had already passed before I arrived and how many more had yet to pass.

before entering the building, I showed the overhead flocks to an associate to which they replied they had never seen so many Robins and never knew that they flew in such numbers for migration. I was once again in awe of the event but was struck by the fact that the non-birding associate was also in awe.

I stick to my guns when I say, "Nature is full of awe and wonder!"

Good fall birding!

Chris Barrigar

Cole Co.
Russellville, MO

"I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in."   JOHN MUIR

ASM Fall Meeting: September 26-28, 2014 at Lake of the Ozarks State Park