The ST. LOUIS AUDUBON SOCIETY is sponsoring a field trip this coming
Saturday to Jersey and Calhoun Counties, Illinois.  We'll also plan on
enjoying the hospitality of the Two Rivers NWR staff who are holding their
annual Open House the same day.

DATE:  Saturday, October 18, 2014

MEETING TIME:  7:30 a.m.

MEETING PLACE:  We'll meet at the Gilbert Lake Division parking lot at the
south, or downriver, end.  If a last-minute change should be required, say,
because of flooding, then I will post a change message here on MOBirds
Friday afternoon or early evening.  If you don't see any change message then
we'll meet as planned.

DIRECTIONS TO GILBERT LAKE:  From Alton, Illinois, go north on IL hwy 100,
the Great River Rd.  Continue all the way through Grafton then watch for the
Brussels Ferry.  Go only 200 yards past the ferry and the parking lot is on
the left.  The entrance is a simple gravel drive but well marked with a big
sign.

PLAN:  We'll bird the upriver end of Gilbert Lake, plus Stump Lake, the Pere
Marquette bluffs and Dabbs Road.  Eventually we'll head downriver to the
Brussels ferry and cross the Illinois River into Calhoun County.  We'll bird
some more on Two Rivers NWR then head over to HQ for lunch and enjoy
exhibits during the break.  As part of Open House activities the Swan Lake
levee road will be open to public auto traffic until 2 p.m.  However, the
great staff at Two Rivers have arranged special access for SLAS past 2 so
we'll plan on taking advantage of this opportunity to look for birds on the
lake upriver of the gate, areas typically only accessible by long hike.  On
a past trip we found sizable flocks of waterfowl, plus avocet and peregrine,
among a good variety of birds.  For those who'd like to participate on this
special part of the trip, plan on being with the group until we turn around
and head back downriver to the gate.  We'll be flexible in our timing so we
can look for birds.

PARTICIPATION:  Everyone is welcome, SLAS members and non-members.

LUNCH:  Bring your own food and drink for a picnic lunch.  As in past years,
we'll time it so we can take lunch on the deck of the Two Rivers NWR HQ
building.

LEADER:  Mike Thelen

COST:  Free

MORE INFO:  Contact me directly, or visit stlouisaudubon.org/

Mike Thelen
University City,
St. Louis County,
Missouri