These Black-throated Green Warbler sighting were of adult and young birds in some of the MOFEP project study areas. Other folks have recorded them on BBS routes, too. There is a small nesting population of about 15 pairs in northern Arkansas, too. Maybe Janet Haslerig in Resource Science Div. has some of the data on them.

Brad

From: Missouri Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Joshua Uffman
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2014 5:13 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Summer Black-throated Greens and Nesting in Missouri

Mike Doyen asked if anyone is aware of breeding Black-throated Green Warblers in Missouri.  Besides the summer visitor records, which can all be seen here:

http://www.showme-birds.com/index_files/BlackThroatedGreenWarblerRecords.htm

There is an article in The Bluebird, Volume 78, No. 1 pages 54-58 - You will know it by the incredible photo of a juvenile Long-tailed Jaeger on the cover.  This article discusses the breeding BT Green Warblers found in the area of the Current River during the summer of 2010.  I cannot respond to the exact documentation of this record, at least not with the MBRC, because I am not certain where that documentation ended.  Regardless, this article discusses the only instance of confirmed breeding in Missouri documented to date.  However, I am not aware (nor do the summer reports indicate) if breeding was found at these locations in years after this discovery - Maybe someone else is??  Regardless, very interesting......  And with this type of isolation, the possibility of a unique subspecies certainly comes to mind?

Josh

In regards to summer Black-throated Green record

Joshua Uffman
St. Louis County, MO
Missouri Bird Records:  www.showme-birds.com

Friends and fellow birders.

If you are birding in the Columbia, Fayette, MO area over the next thirty days stop in at CMU and view the 70 pieces show of original avian art by Missouri's own David Plank. All the birds are specific to Missouri in recognizable habitat. If you are a fan of David's work like I am then take a birding trip on RT 240 out of Rocheport, MO up to Fayette.

The university is also building a 80 acre nature center to bring back native plants and bird habitat. This is something close to my heart and I for one will be making the trip.

David was talking to the head of the Ornithology Department at the University and he told David that the university was doing breeding and nesting survey of the Black throated Green Warbler in the big pines south of the Current River. Has anyone heard of breeding Black throated Greens in Missouri?

Mike Doyen

Rolla, MO

ASM Fall Meeting: September 26-28, 2014 at Lake of the Ozarks State Park Details and Online Registration