Deepa and MoBirders:

There is some hope that the Red Knot will be around until about Sept 30, Tues, next week. On average fall migrant shorebirds move slower than the spring migrants. I think this Red Knot was first seen on Sept 20, and I assume it was seen close to its arrival date. I don’t recall where I read it or heard it but a stopover during migration to refuel for the next migration leap averages about 10 days. That’s allows the shorebirds time to put on enough fat to fly, sometimes nonstop, to the next refueling locations, which may be in Panama, or even all the way to the southern cone or South America. There must be a shorebird scholar on Mobirds that can update us on energetics and assure us that it will still be here for the rest of the month?

Brad

From: Deepa Mohan [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2014 8:43 AM
To: Brad Jacobs
Subject: Re: Red Knot still present Sept 24, 11am - 12 pm

Well, about that Red Knot, I am Green with Envy! We could not spot any of the birds that have been reported from here....and since I will always need a car to get there, I don't anticipate going to Riverlands again before I go home to India.

But ...whenever you see it....or the Sandpipers, or the Avocets, or the Phalaropes...will you say hi from me?

Cheers, Deepa.