P <[log in to unmask]> wrote (Mon, 8 Sep 2014 14:21:23 -0700):

> Another dimension of it is that our mental & sensory sensibilities are getting wildly
> jammed back together in a resssociation of sensibilities that is tossing us like no
> circus ride ever could. I think literacy,  at least as we have known it,  is a real goner.
> Peter

And shortly after reading this I read the following TSE related webpage:

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/sep/08/artist-book-turns-black-london-art-book-fair

The Guardian

Alison Flood
theguardian.com, Monday 8 September 2014 11.25 EDT

Artist creates book that turns black as it is read

As part of the London Art Book Fair, Camille Leproust has created a work printed on thermal paper that is occluded as it heats.

Nine artists have been commissioned to investigate "the future possibilities of the book as a printed object" and to "push the boundaries of how books can be experienced". [Leproust's] art work, in which the poem Anastylosis by Alissa Valles will disappear into blackness, will sit alongside a version of TS Eliot's poem The Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock which the poet is unlikely to have ever foreseen.

[At the website is a picture of Leproust's self-blackening book and the following text (there is more but the last few paragraphs are about the other projects.)]

It's not how one would usually want to read: artist Camille Leproust has created a book printed on thermal paper, which heats and slowly blackens as it is read, giving the reader around four hours to finish before the text fades completely into black.

Leproust's project will be part of an exhibition opening later this month at the London Art Book Fair. Nine artists have been commissioned to investigate "the future possibilities of the book as a printed object" and to "push the boundaries of how books can be experienced". Her art work, in which the poem Anastylosis by Alissa Valles will disappear into blackness, will sit alongside a version of TS Eliot's poem The Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock which the poet is unlikely to have ever foreseen.

Artist Vince Koloski has turned the cover of the book into a small chest of drawers, with the drawers themselves containing the clothes Koloski imagines Prufrock might have worn ("I grow old … I grow old … / I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled ... I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach"). The clothes are covered with clear acrylic sheets, each of which is etched with the glowing text of the poem.

"The text appears to float above the accoutrements of Prufrock's life," said organisers. Koloski himself, who is also a rare book dealer, has said that "the cabinet with clothing and other accessories all a bit worn, bit tarnished, a bit dusty, suggest or illustrate an emotional tone".

"I've always read the poem as the expression of a man who didn't quite make it, was in the background, was a best friend but not the leading man," he has written about his project . "He has settled before a life as a secondary character and while he seems to accept it, there is a great deal of sublimated regret. In the piece that I've created, perhaps the background illustrates a bit of that."

Leproust said that her own artwork stems from discussions "about the value of the book as an object in itself regardless of its contents, how the very activity of reading transforms it: how the marks and traces of our engagement with the book render the mass-produced object something unique and personal".

"From this conceptual groundwork we came up with the idea of a book that destroys itself while being read – an effect achieved with a combination of thermal paper and heat," she said. "While there were a variety of inks and chemicals that we could have used to make the text disappear, we really liked the aesthetics and some of the conceptual implications of having the book slowly burn out."