  Interesting take, Gene. I especially like this paragraph:

The annual Best American Poetry compilation (whose poems are often equivalent to the random observations that one overhears on the subway) expends more pages upon biographical details than the actual poetry: so the reader will know who the poet is, where from, what personal event makes his or her poem worth reading. Cultural significance has replaced literary skill. We have become a nation of poets who grope for meaning through social connectivity.

  I'm wondering, though, whether the state of the state of poetry, as it were, or any other art, was ever in any better straits. Reading your thoughts put me in mind of Ezra Pound's  Mauberly, especially:

        The "age demanded" chiefly a mould in plaster,
        Made with no loss of time,
        A prose kinema, not,  not assuredly, alabaster
        Or the "sculpture" of rhyme.

  A shift in identifying accountability, there, but the net result would be the same, I think.

 Ken A

[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
Colleagues:

Published Sunday.  If of interest.  The discussion here of MA after her death contributed to my thoughts.

Thank you.