You’re not helping me you know.  I’ve always been a bit careful about holding lids off things with other people.  Call me untrusting.

From: T. S. Eliot Discussion forum. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of P
Sent: Wednesday, 24 September 2014 9:45 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Passage for Comment (My people..."

Then of course, Eliot being a Sherlock Holmes fan, there is The Musgrave Ritual.
P.

Kate Nichols <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I don't have the book in front of me, but I'm thinking that Carrol is referring to the letter that Wentworth wrote to Anne while they were all visiting at the Musgroves that he slipped into her hand, pleading with her to be his and to give him a sign that she was still into him and then he would accept her sister's invitation and show up at her sister's party.  For those who haven't read the book, Anne and Wentworth were involved years before but because he didn't have money and position, her good friend and mentor "persuaded" her into refusing his offer of marriage.  Years later, he reappeared into her life, now a captain in the navy with money and prestige.  He and Anne never got over each other.