Peter,

  I don't have any great stake in this, but when I read Alzina Stone Dale's bio-lit appreciation of Eliot (a wonderful little tonic for the negative agenda-driven tomes that proliferate now. And then.), I had your dislike of Browne in mind when she mentioned that Eliot's relationship with Browne spanned quite a few years and he, Eliot, seemed willingly to use Browne as an authoritative and friendly sounding board for projects E was pursuing or thinking of embarking on. I really don't think that negates your take on the matter, but it does for me throw another question mark into the mix. When you say below that "he insisted on strict realism" you are referring to E, right? "Too down and dusty" is Eliot's way as influenced by Browne? Just to be sure I understand.

Ken A

P S The Dale book is T S Eliot The Philosopher Poet. She seems to be a Dorothy Sayers and G. K. Chesterton expert, and you get more of them in their relation to E than you do elsewhere, a nice shift in perspective..