From: T. S. Eliot Discussion forum. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf
Of Carrol Cox
Sent: Thursday, 18 September 2014 9:05 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Passage for Comment (My people..."

'Trams and dusty trees.
Highbury bore me. Richmond and Kew
Undid me. By Richmond I raised my knees
Supine on the floor of a narrow canoe.'			295
'My feet are at Moorgate, and my heart
Under my feet. After the event
He wept. He promised "a new start".
I made no comment. What should I resent?'
'On Margate Sands.					300
I can connect
Nothing with nothing.
The broken fingernails of dirty hands.
My people humble people who expect
Nothing.'

------

Could anyone comment on this passage. I'm trying to look at it from the
perspective of Wentworth's scribbled plea to Anne in Chapter 23 of
Persuasion.

Carrol