Peter,

   I don't have any great stake in this, but when I read Alzina Stone
Dale's bio-lit appreciation of Eliot (a wonderful little tonic for the
negative agenda-driven tomes that proliferate now. And then.), I had
your dislike of Browne in mind when she mentioned that Eliot's
relationship with Browne spanned quite a few years and he, Eliot, seemed
willingly to use Browne as an authoritative and friendly sounding board
for projects E was pursuing or thinking of embarking on. I really don't
think that negates your take on the matter, but it does for me throw
another question mark into the mix. When you say below that "he insisted
on strict realism" you are referring to E, right? "Too down and dusty"
is Eliot's way as influenced by Browne? Just to be sure I understand.

Ken A

P S The Dale book is /T S Eliot The Philosopher Poet/. She seems to be a
Dorothy Sayers and G. K. Chesterton expert, and you get more of them in
their relation to E than you do elsewhere, a nice shift in perspective..

On 9/15/2014 8:44 PM, Peter Montgomery wrote:
> Further thought:
> Modern reality is very subjective, very internal. I suppose an
> interesting production might come
> of moving in and out of Ibsen's world from and to a more stylistic
> presentation, perhaps
> to create an internal environment that reflects the language instead
> of dominating it.
> through lights and sound.Cf. Sweeney A. Not perhaps Eliot's cup of tea
> (he insisted on strict
> realism, but his way (influence of Browne)is getting just too down &
> dusty.

---