I didn't form that impression, Kate. To be sure, there had been speculation
that it was more like 50/50, but even before any votes at all were
announced, an internet poll of a sample who'd actually voted predicted more
or less exactly the 54/46 majority. Then, once the various counts started
to declare, that pattern appeared again and again, only departing from that
trend in eg Glasgow and Dundee, which were offset by bigger 'No' majorities
in other areas such as Edinburgh and Aberdeen.

There was thus cautious prediction from the very beginning that it would be
a narrow 'No'. The only wild card was the unprecedented voter turnout and
whether or not voters who didn't normally bother would tend to favour one
side or the other. There was speculation that it was women who'd tipped the
vote - they hadn't been nearly so vociferous as the testosterone-fuelled
males, but had just kept quiet and voted against more mayhem.