Allen:  The bird is without a doubt an Alder Flycatcher, nice recording.  A lot has been learned regarding the fall pattern of Alder Flycatchers, and empids in general, since R & E was published (1992).  With that said, right now IS the window for Alders to be passing through, and salix stands are certainly their preferred habitat.   Matter of fact Mark Robbins himself reported the first 2 of the fall season via eBird at Nodaway Valley CA 6 Aug. Here is his checklist with his comments:

Considering there is still a lot to learn, particularly regarding their pattern and abundance through the eastern part of the state, I would encourage you to enter this sighting in eBird and/or submit it with your fall seasonal report.

Congrats on the find,

Josh Uffman