I ran back over to west side of Pershing SP this a.m. before work. A Whitetail Doe was watching me as I drove up the hill to the old homestead site. A Pileated Woodpecker was calling as I parked the Jeep. I could see 5 more Deer feeding in the bottom land. When I came back to this area before leaving a Grasshopper Sparrow was singing north of the Red Barn, and a flock of AM Goldfinch flew up from the Blue Chicory, as a Blue Grosbeak sang from an Oak Tree in the yard. I had couple of Bobolinks that have came in as I started down the hill towards the west. Neat area!

    I only found one pair of Black-necked Stilts today. There was also one Least Sandpiper and a very bright colored Short-billed Dowitcher, besides the many Killdeer. Saw a Wood Duck with 7 small ducklings, and a Mallard with some 3/4 sized young ones, then flushed another hen Mallard from a nest with 6 eggs. In one pool was a small flock of male Ducks that included 1 Green-winged Teal, 2 Blue-winged Teal, 1 Northern Shoveler, and 1 Lesser Scaup! There was also more Mallards and a female Hooded Merganser in different parts of that pool. Nice variety of Quackers for early July. Maybe birding is like a box of Quackers - you never know what you will get! - or maybe I am just Quacking up?

Later,

Steve Kinder
Chillicothe, Livingston Co.