Walking the dog one early Fall morning in the 1990s by some woodland near Leesport PA, I came across 2 juvenile Tufted Titmice hopelessly tangled side by side in the burrs of a thicket of Virginia Stickseed (Hackelia virginiana), to which they’d already lost nearly half their flight feathers struggling in vain to free themselves.  I got them out one by one and removed the stickers without losing many more feathers, which of course they appreciated as little as being caught by the Stickseed, scolding and biting my hand as hard as they could the whole while.  For the next couple years a couple Titmice, which I took to be those 2, would hurry over to razz me whenever I went walking back thru that area, bringing back that fond memory (of mine, not theirs!).

Dean Kendall

Leesport, Berks Co, PA

From: Missouri Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of David
Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2014 8:46 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Strange Encounters of the Bird Kind

While out birding with the Thursday group at the Blue Grosbeak Trail today, someone noticed a bird flapping wildly in a blackberry bush.  Closer inspection showed it to be a juvenile Red-bellied Woodpecker, which had somehow managed to get its tail feathers impaled on a thorn.  It was hanging upside down and seemed unable to free itself.  The bird was thrashing wildly, but Les and I were able to break the stem to which it was hooked releasing it.  It should be able to complete the process of removing the thorn itself now that is is right side up.  Has anyone else had experience with birds catching themselves in thorny plants?

David Becher

Saint Louis

ASM Fall Meeting: September 26-28, 2014 at Lake of the Ozarks State Park Details and Online Registration

ASM Fall Meeting: September 26-28, 2014 at Lake of the Ozarks State Park Details and Online Registration