From: David <[log in to unmask]>
Date:07/03/2014 7:45 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Strange Encounters of the Bird Kind

While out birding with the Thursday group at the Blue Grosbeak Trail today, someone noticed a bird flapping wildly in a blackberry bush.  Closer inspection showed it to be a juvenile Red-bellied Woodpecker, which had somehow managed to get its tail feathers impaled on a thorn.  It was hanging upside down and seemed unable to free itself.  The bird was thrashing wildly, but Les and I were able to break the stem to which it was hooked releasing it.  It should be able to complete the process of removing the thorn itself now that is is right side up.  Has anyone else had experience with birds catching themselves in thorny plants?

David Becher
Saint Louis

ASM Fall Meeting: September 26-28, 2014 at Lake of the Ozarks State Park Details and Online Registration