David: Not exactly the same thing, but I'm still haunted by a sad memory from one
of the SLAS trips to Carlyle Lake - on the exterior of a building near the shelter
where our group had set up, I saw the body of a big woodpecker dangling from the
siding; one of its feet had evidently gotten stuck in there for good. I wondered
how long it had suffered before expiring from exhaustion.

Sorry for the downer. It made me glad to hear that your story has a happier
ending - great work!

Cathy Keane
STL City