Jean Graebner organized and led a series of Columbia Audubon Society field trips to Hi Lonesome Prairie in Benton Co. to see and hear booming Greater Prairie-Chickens.  My notes for these trips show  4 seen in 1998, 8 in 1999, and then there was 2000.  That was the year that Jean worked very hard to make all the arrangements for the trip and rode in my car.  We stayed in south Sedalia the night before.  Up well before dawn, we got in the car and Jean lamented, "I don't have my binoculars!" (Most of us have done that--left the most essential item at home.)  Jean had worked so hard to make sure others had a special productive, fun birding experience that she had neglected her own needs.  Well, that morning we shared binoculars as well as spotting scopes and that beautiful morning of March 25, 2000, 13 birders tallied a wondrous, exhilarating 17 prairie chickens!  Jean's work was well-rewarded.

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/