When I was watching some people fish off the waterfront in Port Aransas, TX, the brown pelicans were standing around watching. A lady caught a fish and a young pelican swooped down and grabbed the hooked fish, impaling itself in the mouth.  Unruffled, the little lady reeled in the bird, stuck it under her arm, removed the hook and set the bird down, unharmed.  She must have done that a dozen times to be so efficient at it.

Jo Strange
Branson, MO

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Grant" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, July 3, 2014 9:54:21 PM
Subject: Re: Strange Encounters of the Bird Kind

On a SLAS trip to Horseshoe Lake in Illinois a couple of years ago we encountered two grebes that had been caught by fishermen on hooks.  We were able to free both birds.

And today at work, toward the end of the day, I noticed a bird sitting in the driveway to the loading dock.  Given that it was a Belted Kingfisher and a bird not normally seen sitting on the pavement, I went to check on it.  It had a badly broken wing so I put in a lunch bag and took it to Wild Bird Rehab.  I doubt it survives but I had to try.

Mike Grant
Chesterfield, MO