I paddled my boat around Indian Creek Lake, SW part of Poosey CA, NW Livingston Co. this morning. Our Amish friend, Ivan Ray Miller, while having a large Purple Martin colony of 100+ pairs, and a Bluebird nest trail between Poosey and Jamesport, also maintains 50+ nest boxes on the lake. They are mostly for PROW, but also Tree Swallows use them. I detected 17 PROW today, though I expect peak nesting time is past. There were still eggs in at least one box though. I was a little surprised to see an Eastern Bluebird fly out of one box that was out in the water.
Several Purple Martins were flying over the lake, plus nice variety of other birds around the 192 acre lake. Saw one Cormorant at north end, and a single Spotted Sandpiper on rocks along the Dam at the south end. Several GB Herons, Belted Kingfishers, and Eastern Kingbirds scattered around. Lots of standing dead trees in the several arms of the lake support a good population of Red-headed Woodpeckers, and other cavity nesters.Good variety of woodland birds as the lake is mostly surrounded by Forest. These included Summer and Scarlet Tanagers, YB Cuckoos, Pileated Woodpecker, Orioles, Vireos, etc. Large variety and number of Dragonflies too. Fun outing, with calm conditions and no one else around, esp no noisy motorboats.

Later,
Steve Kinder
Chillicothe

ASM Fall Meeting: September 26-28, 2014 at Lake of the Ozarks State Park Details and Online Registration